What is active travel?
Being active on the way to and from school contributes significantly to a student's daily physical activity and increases social and community connectedness. It also has many other benefits including:
- increasing social interactions with family and friends
- fostering school and community connectedness
- supporting mobility independence and familiarity with the neighbourhood
- reducing road and public transport congestion and pollution.
Schools can support active travel by:
- encouraging parents to support their children to actively travel to school
- providing facilities that support active travel to and from school for students, staff and families (e.g. bike racks, bike shelters)
- offering bicycle education programs and guidance on safe routes to school
- working with families and local councils to provide safe and convenient routes to schools.